Monday, October 01, 2012

Chess Is Like... Golf?


Oh.


I guess, because there was quite a lot happening at Medinah, journalists didn't really have time to come up with silly chess analogies. For shame.

However, I did recognise myself in Captain Olazábal's frantic demeanour towards the end when, had the Ryder Cup been a movie, he'd have hidden behind the sofa. He may have actually done that; I was barely watching either. 

Knock off the 1s and you have a scoreline that I've witnessed in nearly half of the 28 matches I've captained Muswell Hill in. And, in all bar two of those, it's gone down to the last match. Perhaps the most devastating was agreeing a draw an exchange up in a messy position at 3½-2½, thinking that we'd be able to at least draw this position:




Alas. I know how Davis Love feels. 



Chess Is Like... Index

4 comments:

Jon H said...

Well actually on the BBC highlights one of the commentators (I think it was Ken Brown), on witnessing Rose win a crucial hole against Mickelson, cringingly said "and in chess terms that's like bishop takes king"...

ejh said...

When Oxford City won the Oxford and District League many years ago, we won no match by a margin of greater than 4-2.

But I imagine this is a famous fact, and everybody already knows....

Anonymous said...

The curious members of your audience want to know: which side lost the ending from the diagram position?

PJM said...

Black. Though, to be honest, with 30 seconds a side, either would have been possible, even with the pawns as they are.