Friday, March 13, 2009

Best Ever Chess Book Cover

I don't always agree with the choice of bad chess book covers collected by my fellow-blogger ejh; a couple I even almost like.

However, the following chess book cover has to be the very best ever (click to enlarge):


The ballsy swashbuckle of a Nxf7 sac, subtly blended with the sweaty glamour of disco. A rainbow of excitement beamed down at the chess board from the ceiling, like lazers from our sacrifice-loving eyes. How it reminds us all once again of that old fundamental truth, that nothing is black and white in chess. It is like a dream I had, quite literally!

Tremendous.

PS. This cover also impressed me.

7 comments:

Will said...

I have read a good deal of the book and the book is almost as good as the cover. Seems Gambit have really taken the cover of their books up a few nothces recently.

Anonymous said...

It's not the colours that get my attention, it's the typography. It's awful!

Angus

Tom Chivers said...

One thing I've noticed is that the word 'Chess' frequently appear in Gambit titles. I wonder why? Surely those interested in the topic would know already . . . maybe it's in the hope of sales to newcomers.

Morgan Daniels said...

Gross.

Jonathan B said...

I'm not a fan either. Personally I really think this belongs it Justin's series.

I like the stonewall book cover though.

ejh said...

What's the position, anyway? I thought it was an old Bg5 Najdorf, but I don't think it is.

Anonymous said...

What's the position, anyway?
Looks sort of Caro-Kann-ish for black. But no f2-pawn so Blackmar-Diemer, perhaps?

One thing I've noticed is that the word 'Chess' frequently appear in Gambit titles. I wonder why?
It probably helps in lots of ways: page rank, library catalog search, browsing thumbnails, etc.